blog

Collagraph #1, final print

Feeling my collograph was too busy with texture, this last week I removed a couple of the pieces I’d glued down, tried to simplify to use it more as background - and decided to try printing it with cut out pieces of deli paper covering areas of the inked plate. The covered areas would create areas of only white embossed texture. I also wanted to…

a little break through

Figure drawing was really enjoyable and I came away with several really nice drawings. These came out more realistic than expected, but I’m thrilled by the looseness and automatic proportion without even trying. I was amazed because I tried a new approach, starting drawings on toned paper by quickly blocking out the highlights in fairly bold str…

another b/w abstract

Today I did another b/w abstract study, this time mostly collage, using papers I’d created with the gel plate. These are pretty tiny - about 6x6”. I created the collage papers over the last few weeks with either the gel plate, or painting abstract textures, this time with acrylic paint. I can see the beginnings of a really interesting effec…

first collagraph prints

Yesterday I ran two test-prints of my collagraph. On the initial blue/black print, the printer was set at 5, and some spots were missed. So for the colored print, we set the printer at 6.5 and that seems to be the right setting. So seems I’m able to get a fairly good black with the pastel ground, a white with gloss medium, and the fo…

abstract compositions

In the last couple weeks I decided I’d like to really focus and experiment more with abstract composition. I came across a great online course by Jane Davies, and seemed her approach to art making is exactly what I’ve been trying to achieve. So I began a course in which you experiment with composition extremes: simplifying, adding, eliminating…

first collagraph

I made my first collagraph plate! This first one is mostly to test how various textures print, and how to achieve a range of values. This plate is before sealing it with acrylic gloss medium. After 2 coats of that, I painted some areas with matte medium for midtones, and some with a textured pastel ground to hopefully achieve a black. I also used …

abstracting from the figure

That was close to the name of a class I took at NY Art Students League - sessions consisted of all 5-minute poses with a clothed model. I loved much of what I did in it, but I unfortunately got overwhelmed in packing for my move back to LA and didn’t save any of the drawings. why??? Anyway, today I feel like a light went on and I went in the rig…

water soluble media!

Short pose sessions alternate between male/female every week, and I brought water soluble graphite sticks this week. So some areas are applied dry with graphite, charcoal or white chalk, and I also laid down some values by mixing some graphite in water and painting it onto the paper. I don’t have a good enough grasp of the medium to do manage a …

gel plate printing

Oh this is fun... after some frustrating attempts to develop the first figure drawing as a semi-abstract gel print, I realized I needed to learn more about gel plate printing and just play with it. I was also having trouble working quickly enough before the ink or paint would dry right on the gel plate. So I bought a small set of Open Acrylics, an…

another figure drawing

Another week of Short Pose, and I’ve decided instead of focusing on proportions, focus on quick, loose drawing and let the proportions gradually return on their own. Here’s my favorite from this week, a 10-minute pose. As I noticed the distortion I decided to just go with it. I love this one. …