Collagraph #1, final print

Feeling my collograph was too busy with texture, this last week I removed a couple of the pieces I’d glued down, tried to simplify to use it more as background - and decided to try printing it with cut out pieces of deli paper covering areas of the inked plate. The covered areas would create areas of only white embossed texture. I also wanted to…

first collagraph prints

Yesterday I ran two test-prints of my collagraph. On the initial blue/black print, the printer was set at 5, and some spots were missed. So for the colored print, we set the printer at 6.5 and that seems to be the right setting. So seems I’m able to get a fairly good black with the pastel ground, a white with gloss medium, and the fo…

first collagraph

I made my first collagraph plate! This first one is mostly to test how various textures print, and how to achieve a range of values. This plate is before sealing it with acrylic gloss medium. After 2 coats of that, I painted some areas with matte medium for midtones, and some with a textured pastel ground to hopefully achieve a black. I also used …

gel plate printing

Oh this is fun... after some frustrating attempts to develop the first figure drawing as a semi-abstract gel print, I realized I needed to learn more about gel plate printing and just play with it. I was also having trouble working quickly enough before the ink or paint would dry right on the gel plate. So I bought a small set of Open Acrylics, an…