Collagraph #1, final print

Feeling my collograph was too busy with texture, this last week I removed a couple of the pieces I’d glued down, tried to simplify to use it more as background – and decided to try printing it with cut out pieces of deli paper covering areas of the inked plate. The covered areas would create areas of only white embossed texture. I also wanted to try rolling out masked shapes of a lighter color onto the inked plate just before printing. So yesterday I tried two different variations and created a piece I’m really happy with by combining the two as a collage print.

What I’m seeing is something new for me… like the beginnings of a connection between my recent b/w geometric studies and the more organic approach from the past.