first collagraph prints

Yesterday I ran two test-prints of my collagraph. On the initial blue/black print, the printer was set at 5, and some spots were missed. So for the colored print, we set the printer at 6.5 and that seems to be the right setting.

So seems I’m able to get a fairly good black with the pastel ground, a white with gloss medium, and the foil, netting, cloth, corrugated cardboard and glass bead medium have a ton of possibilities. The shape of the foil circle unfortunately was obliterated by the texture painted over parts of it, so in the future I need to control the inking of edges, the separation of values and wiping techniques.

Also – in this 2nd print the colors came out much lighter than expected and I need to learn how to work with the bead texture. But I’m encouraged by this first experience in collagraphy.